Thursday, April 2, 2009

Ready to blog again

Wow.  I haven't blogged in nearly two weeks and haven't had a meaningful blog post in about three weeks.  Thats the longest stretch since I started the blog.  However, I'm done with Halo and so I should pick up the blogging pace like I did earlier.  I think one contributing factor was that I simply wasn't watching any sports, and its tough to blog when you don't ever watch sports.   

I'm still interested in the same things though and have stored up a few topics in my mind. First off, an article I read on Truehoop: 
EW YORK -- This is how Mike D'Antoni tells me the story the morning after Kobe Bryant came into the Garden and dropped a merciless 61 on his Knicks in early February, with a catalog of spin moves and fadeaways that had the sold-out crowd cheering the visiting Lakers:

D'Antoni passed Bryant near center court, walking onto the floor minutes before the house lights were dimmed for pregame introductions, and said, "Hey, Kobe, what's going on?"

This is a phrase D'Antoni uses the way your mom greets company at the door, asking folks to come in, sit down and talk a spell. It's a West Virginia welcome between friends.

D'Antoni was one of Bryant's idols when the kid was growing up in Italy and D'Antoni was starring in the Italian Professional League. Kobe wore D'Antoni's No. 8 as a young Laker. The two became brothers in arms while spending three years as part of Team USA, too. They won gold together.

"And he won't even look at me," D'Antoni says, raising both eyebrows.

No "Whassup, Mike?" no quick head bob, no raise of the eyebrows, nothing. Pursed lips. Boxer's shoulder wiggle. Steely, faraway stare.

D'Antoni laughs. Shakes his head a little. As if to say, I tell you what, that Kobe Bryant, he's pretty damn good.

"I knew right then we were f---ed."


thats an interesting story.  It shows how Kobe was motivated and picked up his game for the game in MSG.  I think that certain top-caliber players do pick and choose which games to ratchet up their focus and their energy.  As I've written about before, rarely do players give 100% effort.  They start out at around 75% effort and can go up or down depending on associated factors.  

No comments: