Thursday, April 30, 2009

What is the purpose of my blog?

I just read a great passage in War and Peace. It was about Pierre Bolkonsky, a Prince in Russia. Here is the quote in full:

"How horrified he wuold have been if, seven years ago, when he had just come from abroad, someone had told him that there was no need to seek or invent anything, that his rut had long been carved out for him and determined from all eternity, and that, however he twisted and turned, he would be that which everybody was in his position".

Pierre is sad with his life. He is no longer trying to achieve anything, invent anything, or do anything. He just drinks, talks, discusses, etc. But he doesn't do anything.

That part really resonated with me. I don't feel like a failure or a wash-out. But maybe thats why I blog and write articles for Bleacher Report. I have a need to feel like I'm contributing or working towards something. I don't like to feel like I'm doing nothing.

Do all young men feel a need to contribute? Its an interesting topic. I want to discover or create something.

No comments: